Re: DVB-S PCI card regression on 4.19 / 4.20

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Tue Nov 27 2018 - 13:09:24 EST

Em Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:58:58 +0100
stakanov <stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> [...]
> 240
> > px-Astra_lnb.jpg
> >
> > The "Universal" one is for an old universal model sold in Europe about
> > 15 years ago. It doesn't support all transponders found on an Astra
> > satellite.
> >
> > For those, you need to use the LNBf that it is known as "Astra 1E"[2].
> >
> > [2] The name is there just for historical reasons. The actual Astra 1E
> > satellite was retired, but another satellite occupies the same orbital
> > position (19.2ÂE), and they keep adding/retiring satellites there as
> > needed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_19.2%C2%B0E).
> >
> > As I pointed you on a past e-mail, when you set the DVB-S board on
> > Kaffeine, you should have explicitly set it.
> >
> > If you start Kaffeine in English:
> >
> > $ LANG=C kaffeine
> >
> > You'll see it at the following menu:
> >
> > Television -> Configure Television -> Device 0
> >
> > (assuming that your device is device 0)
> >
> > There, you need to tell that you'll be using a DiSEqC swith. It
> > will then allow you to select up to 4 satellite sources. Once you
> > set a source, it will allow you to edit the LNB <n> Settings
> > (where <n> will be 1 to 4). Clicking there, it will present you
> > a menu with all known LNBf models. Astra 1E is the third option[3].
> >
> > [3] yeah, on a separate discussion, we should likely rename "Astra 1E"
> > to just "Astra", and place it as the first option. I'll do such change,
> > but it will be at v4l-utils package (libdvbv5) and it will probably
> > take some time until distros start packaging the new version, even
> > if we add it to the stable branch.
> >
> > > I paste the output of the directory below, unfortunately the opensuse
> > > paste
> > > does not work currently so I try here, sorry if this is long.
> > >
> > > Content of the directory 99-media.conf created following the indications
> > > (please bear in mind that I have also another card installed (Hauppauge
> > > 5525) although it was not branched to the sat cable and i did change the
> > > settings in Kaffeine to use only the technisat. But my understanding is
> > > limited if this may give "noise" in the output, so I thought to underline
> > > it, just FYI.
> > > Output:
> > Looks ok to me.
> >
> > > [ 649.009548] cx23885 0000:03:00.0: invalid short VPD tag 01 at offset 1
> > > [ 649.011439] r8169 0000:06:00.0: invalid short VPD tag 00 at offset 1
> >
> > Those two above are weird... It seems to be related to some issue that
> > the PCI core detected:
> >
> > drivers/pci/vpd.c: pci_warn(dev, "invalid %s VPD tag
> > %02x at offset %zu",
> >
> > I've no idea what they mean, nor if you'll face any issues related to it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mauro
> The two are known annoyances especially the cx23885 complaining in the logs
> about a "wrong revision". But as they AFAIK do not cause major issues or
> havoc, it is not a problem, at least for me.

Ok, good!

> Now, the card suddenly works. The only thing you have to do (limited to this
> technisat PCI card, not applicable to the Hauppauge PCI-e mounted on the same
> machine) is to set the "square" to high voltage, limited for Astra. Hotbird
> scans better without this, with "no setting send" as I do for the Hauppauge as
> well.
> This must be something weird related to our sat dish.

That setting is needed if you have a longer cabling, thinner wiring or
loses at the connectors. Not really an issue. Just a setup that makes the
DVB card to use a higher voltage when powering up the LNBf and switching
the polarization, in order to compensate for cable loses.

> But the GOOD news is: yes now you made it! The card works. And yes, you should
> really rename ASTRA E setting. Maybe also be more clear or give some hint in
> kaffeine when hovering over it, about how to set it, for some reason it came
> straightforward to me to click on the right radio button to select the type of
> satellite, but I did not understand, nor did suspect, I would be able to set,
> or that I would have to set the left button (must be a cultural deformation,
> or whatever). Once you told me about I did find it, but in my very limited
> experience, I think that could be enhanced.

Just pushed a patch renaming it. That patch will make Astra the default on
Kaffeine too:

https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/53172/

It is for the DVB library used by Kaffeine.

> So congratulations. It works and now I am officially even more impressed about
> Linux and the spirit behind it. Compliments and thank you all for your work
> and time!
>
> Regards.

> Ihre E-Mail-PostfÃcher sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de

Thanks,