Re: Official Linux system wrapper library?

From: Florian Weimer
Date: Sun Nov 11 2018 - 06:02:19 EST

* Michael Kerrisk:

> I'm not sure I'd view the glibc position quite so harshly (although
> it is disappointing to me that bug 6399 remains open). I think they
> are simply short of people to work on this task. There was a lengthy
> period where no syscall wrappers were being added (pretty much from
> 2.16 to 2.24, as far as I can tell), but that has changed.

People may have disappeared from glibc development who have objected to
gettid. I thought this was the case with strlcpy/strlcat, but it was
not.

At present, it takes one semi-active glibc contributor to block addition
of a system call. The process to override a sustained objection has
never been used successfully, and it is a lot of work to get it even
started.

Thanks,
Florian