Re: [RFC 0/2] RISC-V: A proposal to add vendor-specific code

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Mon Nov 05 2018 - 08:51:38 EST

On 11/5/18, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 09:52:52AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> > I fundamentally disagree with thisâ and think it should be the
>> > contrary.
>> >
>> > 1. The kernel shall support no vendor specific instructions whatsoever,
>> > period.
>>
>> I think what was meant above is
>>
>> 1. If a vendor extension requires kernel support, that support
>> must be able to be built into a kernel image without breaking support
>> for CPUs that do not have that extension, to allow building a single
>> kernel image that works on all CPUs.
>
> No. This literally means no vendor extensions involving instructions
> or CSRs in the kernel. They are fine for userspace, or for the M-mode
> code including impementation of the SBI, but not for the kernel.

I was trying to interpret what Vincent wrote, not what you wrote,
you were pretty clear already ;-)

With the stricter policy you suggest, we'd loose the ability to support
some extensions that might be common:

- an extension for user space that adds new registers that must be
saved and restored on a task switch, e.g. FPU, DSP or NPU
instructions. ARM supports several incompatible extensions like
that in one kernel, and this is really ugly, but I suspect RISC-V
will already need the same thing to support all combinations of
standard extensions, so from a practical perspective it's not
much different for custom extension, aside from the question
how far you want to go to discourage custom extensions by
requiring users to patch their kernels.

- A crypto instruction for a cipher that is used in the kernel
for speeding up network or block data encryption.
This would typically be a standalone loadable module, so
the impact of allowing custom extensions in addition to
standard ones is minimal.

Arnd