Re: [GIT PULL] Addition of the I3C subsystem in 4.20 (5.0)?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 01 2018 - 12:27:44 EST

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:35 PM Boris Brezillon
<boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greg, I didn't get your feedback on v10 of the i3c patchset [1] where I
> was asking if you'd agree to have this framework merged in 4.20 (I know
> you were busy with the 4.19 release and after that the Kernel Summit, so
> that's not a surprise), so I'm sending this PR. It's really not an attempt
> to bypass you, more like a ping that, if positively acknowledged, might
> lead to inclusion of the I3C framework in 4.20 (5.0?) :-).

Regardless of any other issues, this is now too late in the merge
window for me to accept.

Yes, the merge window is two weeks, but that's not because people
should send me pull requests for two weeks. A large part of it is that
it takes time to merge stuff, and I want to have time in the later
part of the merge window for things I have to look at and ponder.

So that's why I want new stuff to be ready *before* the merge window,
and I want to see the actual pull requests early. The two weeks is not
for development and to let people delay things a bit, it's to make it
possible to synchronize and to work out issues.

Linus