Re: [GIT PULL] RISC-V Updates for the 4.19 Merge Window

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Date: Tue Aug 21 2018 - 16:57:58 EST

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:45:50 PDT (-0700), merker@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:31:48AM -0700, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 06:37:59 PDT (-0700), linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[...]
> Do you have vmlinux embedded in bbl ?
>
> With separate bbl and vmlinux, and the following qemu command line
> (with qemu 3.0)
>
> qemu-system-riscv64 -M virt -m 512M -no-reboot \
> -bios bbl -kernel vmlinux \
> -netdev user,id=net0 -device virtio-net-device,netdev=net0 \
> -device virtio-blk-device,drive=d0 \
> -drive file=rootfs.ext2,if=none,id=d0,format=raw \
> -append 'root=/dev/vda rw console=ttyS0,115200' \
> -nographic -monitor none
>
> all I get is
>
> rom: requested regions overlap (rom mrom.reset. free=0x000000000001cbe8, addr=0x0000000000001000)
>
> However, the she system boots fine with the same qemu command line if I use qemu
> built from https://github.com/riscv/riscv-qemu.git, branch qemu-for-upstream.

Yes, I have a vmlinux built into my BBL. I didn't actually look closely at
the command line I was copying and see that vmlinux in there, my guess would
be that it's getting ignored. I don't remember if upstream BBL actually
works with the split bbl/vmlinux setup, I've kind of stopped paying
attention to BBL as I'm just waiting for someone to tell me instructions as
to how to use a real bootloader... :)

JFTR, upstream bbl supports the split bbl/vmlinux setup, it's just
upstream qemu that lacks the support for now (qemu-riscv has it).

Thanks!