Re: Re: WARNING in input_alloc_absinfo

From: syzbot
Date: Tue Aug 07 2018 - 10:28:16 EST

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:59 PM, <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 5:43:02 AM UTC-7, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 8:51 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry....@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 05:47:03AM -0700, syzbot wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> syzbot found the following crash on:
>>
>> HEAD commit: d2d741e5d189 kmsan: add initialization for shmem pages
>> git tree: https://github.com/google/kmsan.git/master
>> console output:
>> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=1775bae7800000
>> kernel config:
>> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=48f9de3384bcd0f
>> dashboard link:
>> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=c382812c78d98ecd9fb8
>> compiler: clang version 7.0.0 (trunk 329391)
>> syzkaller
>> repro:https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=13b31ae7800000
>> C reproducer:
>> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=1733255b800000
>>
>> IMPORTANT: if you fix the bug, please add the following tag to the
>> commit:
>> Reported-by: syzbot+c38281...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> RBP: 00000000006cb018 R08: 0000000000000001 R09: 00007ffe93080031
>> R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000004
>> R13: ffffffffffffffff R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000000
>> ------------[ cut here ]------------
>> input_alloc_absinfo(): kcalloc() failed?
>> WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 4498 at drivers/input/input.c:487
>> input_alloc_absinfo+0x183/0x190 drivers/input/input.c:487
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: panic_on_warn set ...
>
> Hmm, so there is not really a problem as far as I am concerned. We do
> generate a warning if we can't allocate memory for absinfo, as this is
> really unexpected, but the case is handled properly by the callers so
> there is no reason for us to go belly up here.

Note to myself: ping this bug when "include/asm-generic/bug.h: clarify
valid uses of WARN()" is fully merged.

No, this warning will still be there even after the "clarifying" patch is
merged. It does not check user inputs, it warns that the system is so low on
memory that we could not allocate measly amount needed for absinfo. Treat it
as you treat OOM warnings from kmalloc() itself.

Hi Dmitry,

kmalloc does not produce WARNING on OOM. The rule is not only about
invalid inputs, it's also about any transient conditions and "WARNING
only for kernel bugs".

To put this in larger context, being able to distinguish kernel bugs
from non-bugs is a very important and practically useful capability,
which in particular enables systematic testing, but also makes things
simpler for all kernel users. There must be a very significant reason
to abandon this capability. What is that reason in this case?

I also don't understand what is so special about this case. If we want
user message for kmalloc failures, kmalloc is the right place for such
warning, rather than a random call site out of thousands. Consider,
the allocation failure can happen on the very next or previous kmalloc
call, and user won't be warned. The rest of the kernel (including the
rest of input sybsystem) does not warn on allocation failures, so that
looks like what we need to do here as well. Or, if there is something
very special about this particular kmalloc call site, something that
makes it different from thousands of other call sites, why don't you
want to replace it with pr_err which would both give the diagnostics
but also not block systematic testing? Which looks like a win-win to
me.

Thanks

So, Dmitry, do you mind fixing this in the name of unblocking kernel testing?

Let's tell syzbot about the pending fix:

#syz fix: Input: do not use WARN() in input_alloc_absinfo()

Can't find the corresponding bug.