Re: [RFC] blk-mq: clean up the hctx restart

From: jianchao.wang
Date: Tue Jul 31 2018 - 01:19:50 EST

Hi Ming

On 07/31/2018 12:58 PM, Ming Lei wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 12:02:15PM +0800, Jianchao Wang wrote:
>> Currently, we will always set SCHED_RESTART whenever there are
>> requests in hctx->dispatch, then when request is completed and
>> freed the hctx queues will be restarted to avoid IO hang. This
>> is unnecessary most of time. Especially when there are lots of
>> LUNs attached to one host, the RR restart loop could be very
>> expensive.
>
> The big RR restart loop has been killed in the following commit:
>
> commit 97889f9ac24f8d2fc8e703ea7f80c162bab10d4d
> Author: Ming Lei <ming.lei@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon Jun 25 19:31:48 2018 +0800
>
> blk-mq: remove synchronize_rcu() from blk_mq_del_queue_tag_set()

Oh, sorry, I didn't look into this patch due to its title when iterated the mail list,
therefore I didn't realize the RR restart loop has already been killed. :)

The RR restart loop could ensure the fairness of sharing some LLDD resource,
not just avoid IO hung. Is it OK to kill it totally ?

Thanks
Jianchao