Re: [RFC] dmaengine: Add metadat_ops for dma_async_tx_descriptor

From: Peter Ujfalusi
Date: Mon Jul 30 2018 - 05:46:54 EST

Vinod,

On 2018-07-24 14:14, Vinod wrote:

>>> I would think to unify this..
>>
>> I have tried it, but the attach mode and the pointer mode is hard to
>> handle with a generic API.
>> I will try to find a way to unify things in a sane way.
>
> Hmmm, looking from the description they will be for different methods,
> so lets make them orthogonal and not allow driver to register both.

I would allow DMA drivers to register both, but somehow enforce that
clients are not mixing the two distinct way of dealing with the metadata.

The reason for that is for example the attach mode is the simplest (I
implemented it first and I have a client using it), but if the pointer
mode is found to be more efficient and feasible for the DMA then the DMA
driver can implement that mode and the client can move as well w/o
breaking anything.