Re: [patch] mm, vmacache: hash addresses based on pmd

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Jul 11 2018 - 19:43:59 EST

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Did you consider LRU-sorting the array instead?
> > >

> > It adds 40 bytes to struct task_struct,
>
> What does? LRU sort? It's a 4-entry array, just do it in place, like
> bh_lru_install(). Confused.

I was imagining an optimized sort rather than adding an iteration to
vmacache_update() of the same form that causes vmacache_find() to show up
on my perf reports in the first place.

> > but I'm not sure the least
> > recently used is the first preferred check. If I do
> > madvise(MADV_DONTNEED) from a malloc implementation where I don't control
> > what is free()'d and I'm constantly freeing back to the same hugepages,
> > for example, I may always get first slot cache hits with this patch as
> > opposed to the 25% chance that the current implementation has (and perhaps
> > an lru would as well).
> >
> > I'm sure that I could construct a workload where LRU would be better and
> > could show that the added footprint were worthwhile, but I could also
> > construct a workload where the current implementation based on pfn would
> > outperform all of these. It simply turns out that on the user-controlled
> > workloads that I was profiling that hashing based on pmd was the win.
>
> That leaves us nowhere to go. Zapping the WARN_ON seems a no-brainer
> though?

I would suggest it goes under CONFIG_DEBUG_VM_VMACACHE.

My implementation for the optimized vmacache_find() is based on the
premise that spatial locality matters, and in practice on random
user-controlled workloads this yields a faster lookup than the current
implementation. Of course, any caching technique can be defeated by
workloads, artifical or otherwise, but I suggest that as a general
principle caching based on PMD_SHIFT rather than pfn has a greater
likelihood of avoiding the iteration in vmacache_find() because of spatial
locality for anything that iterates over a range of memory.