Re: can we drop the comedi serial2002 drivers from staging?

From: Ian Abbott
Date: Mon Jun 18 2018 - 05:36:05 EST

On 16/06/18 10:37, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:06:45AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
As far as I can tell there has been no targeted work on the driver
since merging it at all, and since 2014 even the comedi-wide
cleanups stopped, laving just drive by tree wide changes since.

At the same time the driver badly abuses the tty layer and is one
of only two major abusers of the poll code for in-kernel waits.

Yeah, it's an ugly driver. It should be rewritten to use the new serdev
api instead of trying to open a tty device node from within the kernel.

I was thinking about that, but it looks tricky to use for a "normal" PC-based distro due to typical lack of device-tree support.

Another possibility is to support comedi drivers in userspace via CUSE, which would require a comedi-cuse interface library that user-space comedi drivers could link to similar to how kernel-mode comedi drivers link to the comedi core.

I don't object to dropping it. Ian and Hartley, do you know of any
users of this driver anymore?

The only place I know it was in use was in Anders Blomdell's lab at Lund University. I've added him to the Cc: list.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> || Web: www.mev.co.uk )=-
-=( MEV Ltd. is a company registered in England & Wales. )=-