Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the device-mapper tree

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu May 31 2018 - 11:02:22 EST

On 5/31/18 8:22 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 5/31/18 8:20 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 5/31/18 6:10 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:

>>> FYI, I've since updated dm-writecache to use the new APIs
>>
>> Thanks Mike. I've rebased for-4.18/block to fold a bug fix for the
>> bounce code, and drop the patch that gets rid of the old API. When
>> we get to the end of the merge window, I'll push that last patch.
>> That's much more sensible, how it should have been done from the
>> get-go.
>
> Actually, maybe I should roll them back, since you both fixed that
> up AND based on my tree - which is of course totally fine, but
> now I'm thinking the rebase will do more harm than good in this
> case.

Talked to Mike offline, but for Stephen's sake I'll reiterate here
too. Since I'm assuming that dm-writecache is the only problematic
user here, and since Mike based dm-4.18 on the block tree, I considered
it saner to leave things as-is. This means that the API removal is still
in the tree.

Stephen, if you see further conflicts due to that, do let me know and
I'll do a proper revert of the patch instead. Hopefully it'll be smooth
sailing from here on out.

--
Jens Axboe