Re: [reset-control] How to initialize hardware state with the shared reset line?

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Mon May 21 2018 - 07:19:22 EST

Hi,

On 21-05-18 03:27, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
Hi.

<martin.blumenstingl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.masahiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
I may be missing something, but
one solution might be reset hogging on the
reset provider side. This allows us to describe
the initial state of reset lines in the reset controller.

The idea for "reset-hog" is similar to:
- "gpio-hog" defined in
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/gpio/gpio.txt
- "assigned-clocks" defined in
Documetation/devicetree/bindings/clock/clock-bindings.txt

For example,

reset-controller {

line_a {
reset-hog;
resets = <1>;
reset-assert;
};
}

When the reset controller is registered,
the reset ID '1' is asserted.

So, all reset consumers that share the reset line '1'
will start from the asserted state
(i.e. defined state machine state).
I wonder if a "reset hog" can be board specific:
- GPIO hogs are definitely board specific (meson-gxbb-odroidc2.dts for
example uses it to take the USB hub out of reset)
- assigned-clock-parents (and the like) can also be board specific (I
made up a use-case since I don't know of any actual examples: board A
uses an external XTAL while board B uses some other internal
clock-source because it doesn't have an external XTAL)

however, can reset lines be board specific? or in other words: do we
need to describe them in device-tree?

Indeed.

I did not come up with board-specific cases.

The problem we are discussing is SoC-specific,
and reset-controller drivers are definitely SoC-specific.

So, I think the initial state can be coded in drivers instead of DT.

we could extend struct reset_controller_dev (= reset controller
driver) if they are not board specific:
- either assert all reset lines by default except if they are listed
in a new field (may break backwards compatibility, requires testing of
all reset controller drivers)

This is quite simple, but I am afraid there are some cases where the forcible
reset-assert is not preferred.

For example, the earlycon. When we use earlycon, we would expect it has been
initialized by a boot-loader, or something.
If it is reset-asserted on the while, the console output
will not be good.

- specify a list of reset lines and their desired state (or to keep it
easy: specify a list of reset lines that should be asserted)
(I must admit that this is basically your idea but the definition is
moved from device-tree to the reset controller driver)

Yes, I think the list of "reset line ID" and "init state" pairs
would be nicer.

any "chip" specific differences could be expressed by using a
different of_device_id

one the other hand: your "reset hog" solution looks fine to me if
reset lines can be board specific

From the discussion with Martin Blumenstingl
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/28/115),
the problem for Amlogic is that
the reset line is "de-asserted" by default.
If so, the 'reset-hog' would fix the problem,
and DWC3 driver would be able to use
shared, level reset, I think.
I think you are right: if we could control the initial state then we
should be able to use level resets

Even further, can we drop the shared reset_control_reset() support, maybe?
(in other words, revert commit 7da33a37b48f11)

At least one some Allwinner ships shared-reset support accurately
models how the hardware works. It seems that the case you are
trying to fix is actually a special version of shared reset support,
you want shared reset behavior, combined with making sure the reset
is asserted at reset-controller-driver load time.

Regards,

Hans