Re: Control dependency between prior load in while condition and later store?

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Apr 05 2018 - 10:35:29 EST

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2018 at 04:35:32PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2018, Daniel Jordan wrote:
> >
> > > A question for memory-barriers.txt aficionados.
> > >
> > > Is there a control dependency between the prior load of 'a' and the
> > > later store of 'c'?:
> > >
> > > while (READ_ONCE(a));
> > > WRITE_ONCE(c, 1);
> >
> > I would say that yes, there is.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Yes, except that a more accurate view of the object code would be
> > something like this:
> >
> > Loop: r1 = READ_ONCE(a);
> > if (r1)
> > goto Loop;
> > else
> > ; // Do nothing
> > WRITE_ONCE(c, 1);
> >
> > Here you can see that one path branches backward, so everything
> > following the "if" is dependent on the READ_ONCE.
>
> Agreed, and I think I even have code that relies on such a pattern
> somewhere.. Ah.. yes, see smp_cond_load_acquire().

One does have to be very careful when talking about compiler behavior.
This happens to be a particularly delicate point. My old copy of the
C++11 draft standard says (section 1.10 paragraph 24):

The implementation may assume that any thread will eventually do one of
the following:

âterminate,
âmake a call to a library I/O function,
âaccess or modify a volatile object, or
âperform a synchronization operation or an atomic operation.

[ Note: This is intended to allow compiler transformations such as
removal of empty loops, even when termination cannot be proven. - end
note ]

In this example, READ_ONCE() is in fact a volatile access, so we're
okay. But if it weren't, the compiler might decide to assume the loop
will eventually terminate, meaning that the WRITE_ONCE() would always
be executed eventually. Then there would be nothing to prevent the
compiler from moving the WRITE_ONCE() up before the start of the loop,
which would of course destroy the control dependency.

Alan