Re: [RFC/RFT patch 0/7] timekeeping: Unify clock MONOTONIC and clock BOOTTIME

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Mar 13 2018 - 02:36:42 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:33 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > This really needs lot of testing, documentation updates and more input from
> > userspace folks to make a final decision.
>
> Honestly, I don't think we'd get the testing this kind of change needs
> except by just trying it.
>
> I'm willing to merge this in the 4.17 merge window, with the
> understanding that if people end up reporting issues, we may just have
> to revert it all, and chalk it up to a learning experience - and add
> the appropriate commentary in the kernel code about exactly what it
> was that depended on that MONO/BOOT difference.
>
> One non-technical thing I would ask: use some other word than
> "conflate". Maybe just "combine". Or better yet, "unify".

Ok, I have edited all the changelogs accordingly (and also flipped around the
'clock MONOTONIC' language to the more readable 'the MONOTONIC clock' variant),
the resulting titles are (in order):

72199320d49d: timekeeping: Add the new CLOCK_MONOTONIC_ACTIVE clock
d6ed449afdb3: timekeeping: Make the MONOTONIC clock behave like the BOOTTIME clock
f2d6fdbfd238: Input: Evdev - unify MONOTONIC and BOOTTIME clock behavior
d6c7270e913d: timekeeping: Remove boot time specific code
7250a4047aa6: posix-timers: Unify MONOTONIC and BOOTTIME clock behavior
127bfa5f4342: hrtimer: Unify MONOTONIC and BOOTTIME clock behavior
92af4dcb4e1c: tracing: Unify the "boot" and "mono" tracing clocks

I'll push these out after testing.

Thanks,

Ingo