Re: LKML admins (syzbot emails are not delivered)

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Mon Mar 12 2018 - 04:57:11 EST

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 9:03 PM, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 17:22:54 +0100
>
>> The problem strikes back.
>> Again people complain that a email does not appear on LKML:
>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2735905.html
>> Though, it appeared on syzkaller-bugs group:
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/syzkaller-bugs/OkwLGoS6UQA/hHAtCdnNBgAJ
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/message/raw?msg=syzkaller-bugs/OkwLGoS6UQA/hHAtCdnNBgAJ
>> syzbot now receives and logs bounce notifications, but there were none...
>
> The problem is that the name 'kernelci.orgbot' has a special character
> in it, namely "."
>
> And when such special characters occur in email headers, the string
> in question must be surrounded by double quotes.
>
> People have to do this when they use my name "David S. Miller" as
> well, for example.
>
> So I think if you put double quotes around kernelci.orgbot when it
> is provided in email headers, the problem will go away.
>
> Please also make sure that multiple From: headers are not being
> generated or anything like that.

Thanks for looking into this, David!

But I don't see kernelci.orgbot referenced anywhere in the emails.
E.g. in the one that was linked above:
https://groups.google.com/forum/message/raw?msg=syzkaller-bugs/OkwLGoS6UQA/hHAtCdnNBgAJ

Which one do you mean? syzbot takes emails from get_maintainers.pl, I
guess kernelci.orgbot is not usually there. And syzbot does not
includes names, just email addresses.
Could a dot in email address produce the same result? E.g.
To: foo.bar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
? I see such addresses in some of the emails (but not in the one
referenced above).

Is it possible to revive autoanswer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx? It would
hopefully allow us to debug this without bothering you.

Possibly related, when I am searching for "syzkaller" I am finding
entries like the following titled "This message generated a parse
failure. Raw output follows here. Please use 'back' to navigate.".

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/10/73
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/27/581
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/22/774

Could this "parse failure" explain the undelivered emails? How can I
figure out what exactly caused the failure?

Thanks again