Re: PROBLEM: NULL pointer dereference in dell_set_arguments() in 4.15

From: Alexander Sergeyev
Date: Sun Feb 04 2018 - 04:20:04 EST

Mario,

Would you please try https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10194287/
And see if it cleans up this null pointer dereference?

Yes, it does.

Is there any estimates on when the patch will be merged into mainline? I want to put something into my distribution bug tracker, but it's unlikely they will use this patch before its stabilization.

As for your suspend problem did you pick up the new firmware that contained the microcode update for Spectre? Or a microcode update from your distribution?

Yes, around a month ago (the firmware option). Still, there is a time frame between the firmware update and the problem surfacing. As I said it was eliminated by switching POST/fastboot to the thorough mode. I just have tried to reproduce the problem with previous settings, but with no success. So, that is (in a way) closed, but I have no idea what it was about.

Thank you.