Re: [GIT PULL] pin control bulk changes for v4.16

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 02 2018 - 19:51:18 EST

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 4:44 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stupid patch attached. I don't know how much this helps the insane
> dependency hell for <linux/pinctrl/devinfo.h>, but it's bound to help
> _some_.

Testing it, that patch definitely cuts down on recompiles after

touch include/linux/pinctrl/devinfo.h

a lot.

It still ends up rebuilding a fair amount of odd drivers, but now the
files it rebuilds at least make _some_ sense.

It used to really rebuild just about everything (because pretty much
everything includes <linux/device.h>). Now it rebuilds various snd/soc
files,gpio stuff and mmc/mfc stuff.

I'm sure it could be improved upon still, but I think this is already
a fairly noticeable improvement.

One odd header include down. Ten million to go.

Linus