Re: [RFC] Per file OOM badness

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri Jan 19 2018 - 07:14:05 EST

On Fri 19-01-18 12:37:51, Christian König wrote:
[...]
> The per file descriptor badness is/was just the much easier approach to
> solve the issue, because the drivers already knew which client is currently
> using which buffer objects.
>
> I of course agree that file descriptors can be shared between processes and
> are by themselves not killable. But at least for our graphics driven use
> case I don't see much of a problem killing all processes when a file
> descriptor is used by more than one at the same time.

Ohh, I absolutely see why you have chosen this way for your particular
usecase. I am just arguing that this would rather be more generic to be
merged. If there is absolutely no other way around we can consider it
but right now I do not see that all other options have been considered
properly. Especially when the fd based approach is basically wrong for
almost anybody else.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs