Re: [RFC] Per file OOM badness

From: Michel DÃnzer
Date: Fri Jan 19 2018 - 05:02:57 EST

On 2018-01-19 10:58 AM, Christian KÃnig wrote:
> Am 19.01.2018 um 10:32 schrieb Michel DÃnzer:

>>> I already tried that and the problem with that approach is that some
>>> buffers are not created by the application which actually uses them.
>>>
>>> For example X/Wayland is creating and handing out render buffers to
>>> application which want to use OpenGL.
>>>
>>> So the result is when you always account the application who created the
>>> buffer the OOM killer will certainly reap X/Wayland first. And that is
>>> exactly what we want to avoid here.
>> FWIW, what you describe is true with DRI2, but not with DRI3 or Wayland
>> anymore. With DRI3 and Wayland, buffers are allocated by the clients and
>> then shared with the X / Wayland server.
>
> Good point, when I initially looked at that problem DRI3 wasn't widely
> used yet.
>
>> Also, in all cases, the amount of memory allocated for buffers shared
>> between DRI/Wayland clients and the server should be relatively small
>> compared to the amount of memory allocated for buffers used only locally
>> in the client, particularly for clients which create significant memory
>> pressure.
>
> That is unfortunately only partially true. When you have a single
> runaway application which tries to allocate everything it would indeed
> work as you described.
>
> But when I tested this a few years ago with X based desktop the
> applications which actually used most of the memory where Firefox and
> Thunderbird. Unfortunately they never got accounted for that.
>
> Now, on my current Wayland based desktop it actually doesn't look much
> better. Taking a look at radeon_gem_info/amdgpu_gem_info the majority of
> all memory was allocated either by gnome-shell or Xwayland.

My guess would be this is due to pixmaps, which allow X clients to cause
the X server to allocate essentially unlimited amounts of memory. It's a
separate issue, which would require a different solution than what we're
discussing in this thread. Maybe something that would allow the X server
to tell the kernel that some of the memory it allocates is for the
client process.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer | http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast | Mesa and X developer