Re: aio fsync revisited

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Thu Jan 18 2018 - 17:46:40 EST

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 08:47:46PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this patch adds workqueue based fsync offload. Version of this
> patch have been floating around for a couple years, but we now
> have a user with seastar used by ScyllaDB (who sponsored this
> work) that really wants this in addition to the aio poll support.
> More details are in the patch itself.
>
> Because the iocb types have been defined sine day one (and probably
> were supported by RHEL3) libaio already supports these calls as-is.
>
> As the patch is on top of of the aio.c changes in the aio poll
> series I've also provided a git tree:
>
> git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/vfs.git aio-fsync
>
> Gitweb:
>
> http://git.infradead.org/users/hch/vfs.git/shortlog/refs/heads/aio-fsync

After I get back from LCA (all next week) I'll update the fsmark
aio patches I have and retest this. The code looks pretty similar to
the last "generic aio fsync" patch I wrote, so I'm guessing that the
results will be pretty similar, too.

It would be good to finally get this implemented in the kernel...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner