Re: PROBLEM: 4.15.0-rc3 APIC causes lockups on Core 2 Duo laptop

From: Dou Liyang
Date: Thu Dec 28 2017 - 05:24:00 EST

Hi Alexandru,

At 12/28/2017 10:51 AM, Alexandru Chirvasitu wrote:
Ah, of course. Attached is the output of `journalctl --boot=-1` after
booting, getting locked up, and then rebooting a good kernel.

For the Hard lockups on both CPUs after login:

Please try the patch in the attachment by

git am ./0001-x86-vector-Replace-the-raw_spin_lock-with-raw_spin_l.patch

or

patch -p1 < ./0001-x86-vector-Replace-the-raw_spin_lock-with-raw_spin_l.patch

Slightly different version of 4.15-rc5; this one has both patches
applied, yours and Linus' for kexec, but the latter shouldn't make a
difference.

---

You'll see another trace in there that's been bugging me, about W=X
checking. I'm not qualified to judge how related they are, but during
these past few days I've compiled and tested many kernels, and many of
them have exhibited the W+X thing but*not* the lockups.

Yes, I found it, but I am not familiar with it and have no idea.

Thanks,
dou.