Re: About the try to remove cross-release feature entirely by Ingo

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Dec 14 2017 - 06:18:35 EST

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:07:11PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> interpreted this as the lockdep maintainers saying, "hey, not my
> fault, it's the subsystem maintainer's fault for not properly
> classifying the locks" --- and thus dumping the responsibility in the
> subsystem maintainers' laps.

Let me clarify that I (as lockdep maintainer) disagree with that
sentiment. I have spend a lot of time over the years staring at random
code trying to fix lockdep splats. Its awesome if corresponding
subsystem maintainers help out and many have, but I very much do not
agree its their problem and their problem alone.

This attitude is one of the biggest issues I have with the crossrelease
stuff and why I don't disagree with Ingo taking it out (for now).