Re: [patch V4 01/11] Documentation: Add license-rules.rst to describe how to properly identify file licenses

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Nov 25 2017 - 14:04:58 EST

On Wed 2017-11-22 14:48:04, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 09:51:17AM -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Wed, 22 Nov 2017 12:12:04 +0100 (CET)
> > Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> > Yeah, I also find nasty to have things like this on each C file:
> >
> > // SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
> > /*
> > * Copyright ...
> > * ...
> > */
> >
> > Also, one may forget that headers use /**/ and end by doing the wrong
> > thing, as a common practice is to just cut-and-paste the same copyright
> > header on both C and H files at development time.
>
> You break the build when you get it wrong, so you will notice it. For
> most "internal" .h files, using // is just fine.
>
> Yes, it's "ugly", but again, that's what Linus said he wanted it to look
> like, take it up with him :)

Linus said:

# So in general, the _hope_ is that we can just end up replacing
# existing boilerplate comments with that single line SPDX comment
# (using "//" in *.[ch] files, but obviously some other kinds of files
# end up having a different comment character, typically '#').

That does not sound like he was deciding between /* */ and //. And
actually this was in context of files with no existing license. You
made the ugly patches. Stop hiding behind Linus.

Pavel