Re: leaking_addresses script..

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev
Date: Wed Nov 15 2017 - 16:32:12 EST

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 08:11:24AM +1100, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 02:45:59PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did not sign the tag, it looks like you have not processed this yet.
> Do you want me to re-do the pull request on a signed tag?

When pulling from github? Absolutely.

Linus I'm not in the web of trust, pulling a tag signed by an _unknown_
key is not secure is it? Would it not be better to get into the web of
trust first before requesting you pull any code from me.

Many kernel developers use "Trust on First Use" (TOFU) approach, which is not unreasonable -- it's what ssh has been using for the past couple of decades. In the end, the goal of tag signing is not to verify your *identity* but to verify that Tobin C. Harding from today is the same Tobin C. Harding whose code was reviewed and merged 3 months ago.

Also, once I get in the web of trust I can apply to get my tree hosted
on git.kernel.org so you don't have to pull from GitHub.

We have different rules for issuing actual accounts at kernel.org. We *do* rely on the web of trust, since I personally have no way of verifying who is a real developer and who isn't. Even then, I don't really care about your identity as much as I need to have assurances from other members of kernel.org that they have worked with you previously and they can vouch that you are their fellow kernel developer.

-K