Re: Prototype patch for Linux-kernel memory model

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Nov 13 2017 - 15:09:20 EST

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Please see below for the git commit corresponding to a prototype
> patch for the Linux-kernel memory model. This addresses the feedback
> we got at Linux Plumbers Conference:
>
> 1. There is a Documentation/recipes.txt file giving known-good
> useful examples, along with corresponding litmus tests.
>
> 2. There is a Documentation/explanation.txt file giving an
> overview of the memory model and its workings.
>
> 3. There is a Documentation/references.txt file giving some
> background reading.
>
> I believe that we have something that will be extremely useful and
> valuable to novices and experts alike.
>
> Please note that this version of the memory model does not yet reflect
> the changes that make DEC Alpha no longer be a special case because
> those changes have not yet hit mainline. The model will be updated
> once this happens.
>
> Thoughts?

In references.txt, should we add URLs to non-paywalled PDFs? Or should
we assume that our readers are capable of using Google to find these
things on their own?

There are a few places where some comments should be resolved/removed
before submission:

Documentation/references.txt line 98:
Uncategorized stuff (any of this really needed?)

litmus-tests/README line 92:
[ Shouldn't we have one with smp_wmb() in the process with both
writes, and smp_mb() in the other process. ]

In the files defining the memory model, we should replace the GPL
boilerplate with SPDX headers.

Alan