Re: How to power gate a specific single device from outside?

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Oct 24 2017 - 19:56:46 EST

> I could not find anything standard that let me power gate single
> device from userland. Perhaps it's considered as a too risky operation
> to expose to the user. I don't want to touch drivers too much as well
> not to make them dependant on extra system feature. Better to have a
> separate module that handles this system mode and forces some drivers
> to unload/power gate their HW.
>
> Are there already some proven solutions/ideas around the kernel that
> can be used straight away?

For a lot of devices if you close it then it will try and put the device
into a low power state. If a driver isn't doing that then (unless there
are hardware constraints preventing it) it would make sense to fix it.

There are some things entirely in your control - big ones. In particular
the brightness of laptop panels, pulling everything off one CPU socket,
disabling the nmi watchdog, hard disk power settings, stopping processes
that wake up a lot.

Many of those you can set anyway for best power behaviour (see powertop).

Alan