Re: clock event deviceâs next_event

From: Sodagudi Prasad
Date: Tue Oct 24 2017 - 03:56:58 EST

On 2017-10-24 00:23, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017, Sodagudi Prasad wrote:

Hi Viresh and Thomas,

In the functions tick_nohz_stop_sched_tick(), when expires = KTIME_MAX we are
canceling the tick_sched_timer timer but we are not updating the clock event
deviceâs next_event to KTIME_MAX.
Due to that broadcast deviceâs next_event is not programmed properly and
resulting unnecessary wakeups for this cpu.

/*
* If the expiration time == KTIME_MAX, then we simply stop
* the tick timer.
*/
if (unlikely(expires == KTIME_MAX)) {
if (ts->nohz_mode == NOHZ_MODE_HIGHRES)
hrtimer_cancel(&ts->sched_timer);
goto out;
}

Right, because this code does not have access to the broadcast device at
all. It doesn't even know and care about it.

Some of the drivers in cpuidle frame works are using tick_nohz_get_sleep_length API
to find maximum idle/sleep time from ts->sleep_length.

And also the estimated sleep length until the next timer in tick_nohz_stop_sched_tick
not getting updated at the end.

After digging further, I see that following call flow is updating
tick_cpu_device state to shutdown state but clock event device next_event is
not updated to KTIME_MAX.
hrtimer_cancel -> __remove_hrtimer -> hrtimer_force_reprogram ->
tick_program_event.

int tick_program_event(ktime_t expires, int force)
{
struct clock_event_device *dev =
__this_cpu_read(tick_cpu_device.evtdev);

if (unlikely(expires == KTIME_MAX)) {
/*
* We don't need the clock event device any more, stop it.
*/
clockevents_switch_state(dev,
CLOCK_EVT_STATE_ONESHOT_STOPPED);
return 0;
}
In the above tick_program_event() function clock event deviceâs next_event is
not getting updated as clockevents_program_event() function not called after
state update.

If the device is shutdown, then next_event does not matter. But yes, for
consistency reasons we could set it to KTIME_MAX.

Thanks tglx for your quick reply on this and I will send patch for the same.

Thanks,

tglx

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
Linux Foundation Collaborative Project