Re: Possible bug in CPU hotplug handling (4.14.0-rc5)

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Fri Oct 20 2017 - 14:14:37 EST

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think I've found in bug in the CPU hotplug handling when multi-instance
> states are used. That is in the 4.14.0-rc5 kernel.

> I have not attempted to get to the bottom of the issue to propose an actual
> fix, since the logic there looks somewhat complex, but thought to first
> seek opinion of the people in the know regarding this area.

These commits fiddled with that post rc1, so it's probably burried
somewhere there.

1db49484f21e ("smp/hotplug: Hotplug state fail injection")
5ebe7742fff8 ("smp/hotplug: Differentiate the AP completion between up and down")
5f4b55e10645 ("smp/hotplug: Differentiate the AP-work lockdep class between up and down")
724a86881d03 ("smp/hotplug: Callback vs state-machine consistency")
4dddfb5faa61 ("smp/hotplug: Rewrite AP state machine core")
96abb968549c ("smp/hotplug: Allow external multi-instance rollback")

I'll have a look at it on sunday (tomorrow I'm conferencing) with Peter, so
we should be able to figure it out, unless you beat us to it.

Thanks,

tglx