Re: NMI watchdog dump does not print on hard lockup

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Mon Oct 16 2017 - 10:15:55 EST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:13:05 +0900
Sergey Senozhatsky <sergey.senozhatsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> just "brainstorming" it... with some silly ideas.
>
> pushing the data from NMI panic might look like we are replacing one
> deadlock scenario with another deadlock scenario. some of the console
> drivers are soooo complex internally. so I have been thinking about...
> may be we can extend struct console and add ->write_on_panic() and that
> handler must be as lockless as possible; so lockless that calling it
> from anything that is not panic() is a severe bug.

This may not be a bad idea. And make it so it can't be called unless we
are in panic mode (or at least "oops in progress").

If oops_in_progress is set, and the console has a "write_on_panic"
handler, then just call that.

Heck, if it doesn't have one, and early_printk is defined, then perhaps
that should be the default "write_on_panic" output?

-- Steve