Re: [GIT PULL] First batch of KVM changes for v4.14

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Sep 08 2017 - 18:26:05 EST

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 7:30 AM, Radim KrÄmÃÅ <rkrcmar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Topic branch merges in s390 and powerpc
> are already in mainline -- would you prefer to see the expected result
> after merge instead of what `git request-pull` produces?

So generally, if you do the test-merge anyway (which I appreciate), I
generally prefer the expected results instead of the raw `git
request-pull` output.

But it's also definitely not a hard requirement.

Basically, the rough guidance is that "git request-pull is sufficient".

And if you are not a git power-user (ie you don't use lots of
branches, and there aren't any shared topic branches with other
trees), git request-pull will simply always be the right thing anyway.

For maintainers that _are_ doing fancier things with git, and are
sharing branches and doing their own complex git history, "git
request-pull" is the simple interface - and is generally _too_ simple.
So then I _hope_ (but do not require) that such maintainers will do
the test-merge anyway for other reasons, and take the diffstat from
that instead, since the simple "git request-pull" model won't
necessarily give the right diffstat for the more complex history case.

So it's appreciated, but not required.

Linus