Re: [RFC 1/2] misc: Add vboxguest driver for Virtual Box Guest integration

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Mon Aug 21 2017 - 08:04:58 EST

Hi,

On 21-08-17 13:43, Hans de Goede wrote:

<snip>

I'm also thinking that under Linux since we never use userspace to
alloc memory for the balloon, we don't need to involve userspace at
all, the drivers interrupt handler could detect the event that the
host wants to change the balloonsize itself and start a workqueue
item which then asks for what the new size should be and do the
adjustment all inside the kernel. I think that will even lead to
simpler code as we no longer need to track the balloon userspace
owner and do reclaim when it dies.

Typing this out I really see no reason to not do this inside the
kernel, so I think I'm going to implement that right away / for
the [RFC v2] I plan to post later today or tomorrow.

Done:

https://github.com/jwrdegoede/vboxguest/commit/2920882cb0ce9af11a843affc58d4a08ef47e16b

Regards,

Hans