Re: special handle of scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o

From: Cao jin
Date: Sun Aug 20 2017 - 23:30:56 EST

Hi,
Thank you both for those valuable info.

On 08/19/2017 08:42 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Hi.
> (+CC Sam)

>> Masahiro-san,
>>
>> I have a question about make *config. In scripts/kconfig/Makefile, there
>> is following statement:
>>
>> $(obj)/zconf.tab.o: $(obj)/zconf.lex.c $(obj)/zconf.hash.c
>>
>> and the $(obj)/zconf.{tab,hash,lex}.c match the rule in Makefile.lib:
>>
>> $(obj)/%: $(src)/%_shipped
>> $(call cmd,shipped)
>>
>> and cmd_shipped just transform the _shipped file to .c via `cat`.
>>
>> And zconf.tab.c includes several *other* .c files which make the whole
>> process a little obscure, because there are not corresponding .o files
>> for the *other* .c files.
>>
>> My questions is: Does this special handling has other meanings that I
>> may miss? Or just legacy.
>

>> Because a straightforward way in my mind would be:
>>
>> rename zconf.{tab,hash,lex}.c_shipped to zconf.{tab,hash,lex}.c, then
>> has following in the Makefile
>>
>> common-objs := zconf.tab.o zconf.hash.o zconf.lex.o util.o etc...
>> conf-objs := conf.o $(common-objs)
>>

> Here, we have one more question.
>

> Can we generate zconf.{tab,hash,lex}.c from zconf.{y,gperf,l}
> instead of from *_shipped?
>
> This is also possible, technically.
> But, I do not know if it is acceptable to have
> more external tool dependencies.
> (So, I sent RFC patches to hear more opinions.)

I think this is good for the new comers who don't know those tools
before. When I come to here. I just noticed that kbuild will cat
*_shipped file to the corresponding .c file, and miss the part that the
.c file is actually created by the tools.

And another new-comer friendly improvement may be something like: remove
"include *.c" lines in zconf.y, and modify makefile like I said above.
So I will not get confused when I see symbols within certain .c file is
used while don't see the certain .o file.

--
Sincerely,
Cao jin