Re: [RFC v5 12/38] mm: ability to disable execute permission on a key at creation

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Tue Jul 11 2017 - 17:30:53 EST

On Tue, 2017-07-11 at 11:11 -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On 07/05/2017 02:21 PM, Ram Pai wrote:
> > Currently sys_pkey_create() provides the ability to disable read
> > and write permission on the key, at creation. powerpc has the
> > hardware support to disable execute on a pkey as well.This patch
> > enhances the interface to let disable execute at key creation
> > time. x86 does not allow this. Hence the next patch will add
> > ability in x86 to return error if PKEY_DISABLE_EXECUTE is
> > specified.

That leads to the question... How do you tell userspace.

(apologies if I missed that in an existing patch in the series)

How do we inform userspace of the key capabilities ? There are at least
two things userspace may want to know already:

- What protection bits are supported for a key

- How many keys exist

- Which keys are available for use by userspace. On PowerPC, the
kernel can reserve some keys for itself, so can the hypervisor. In
fact, they do.

Cheers,
Ben.