Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm-current tree

From: Kees Cook
Date: Thu Jun 15 2017 - 19:46:45 EST

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Andrew Morton
<akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I am still needing to revert this every day ...
>>
>> I sent a series for -mm (or maintainers) to merge that should catch
>> everything. Do you want me to carry it in my kspp tree instead? (My
>> original intention was to carry all the fixes and the fortify patch in
>> kspp but akpm took it into -mm somewhat unexpectedly, not that I'm
>> complaining.)
>
> This is all getting a bit foggy in my mind. Can we please have a full
> resend of everything? Sufficient to hopefully produce a tree which has
> no build-time or run-time regressions? Including the buildbot's
> recently-reported alpha and xtensa issues?

It's been sent a few times (and a few fixes have been collected in
other trees already). What I've got in my for-next/kspp tree right now
is all the fixes that haven't already been picked up by other tree
maintainers, and I added the fortify patch itself to the end of the
tree too now since sfr asked for that a few hours ago.

Merged with latest -next, this passes x86_64, i386, arm64, and powerpc
allmodconfig builds for me. It doesn't pass arm, though. Perhaps we
need to add an ARCH_HAS_FORTIFY_SOURCE to gate the all*config builds?

Should we let the dust settle first? I'm happy to do whatever makes
the most sense, I'm just following what (I understand) sfr suggested
most recently. :)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook