Re: Sleeping BUG in khugepaged for i586

From: David Rientjes
Date: Sun Jun 11 2017 - 19:29:00 EST

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > I would just pull the cond_resched out of __collapse_huge_page_copy
> > > right after pte_unmap. But I am not really sure why this cond_resched is
> > > really needed because the changelog of the patch which adds is is quite
> > > terse on details.
> >
> > I'm not sure what could possibly be added to the changelog. We have
> > encountered need_resched warnings during the iteration.
>
> Well, the part the changelog is not really clear about is whether the
> HPAGE_PMD_NR loops itself is the source of the stall. This would be
> quite surprising because doing 512 iterations taking up to 20+s sounds
> way to much.

I have no idea where you come up with 20+ seconds.

These are not soft lockups, these are need_resched warnings. We monitor
how long need_resched has been set and when a thread takes an excessive
amount of time to reschedule after it has been set. A loop of 512 pages
with ptl contention and doing {clear,copy}_user_highpage() shows that
need_resched can sit without scheduling for an excessive amount of time.

> So is it possible that we are missing a cond_resched
> somewhere up the __collapse_huge_page_copy call path?

No.