Re: [Kernel.org Helpdesk #40777] [linuxfoundation.org #40777] Re: Linux 4.12-rc1 (file locations)

From: FranÃois Valenduc via RT
Date: Mon May 15 2017 - 14:35:06 EST

Le 15/05/17 Ã 17:42, Linus Torvalds via RT a Ãcrit :
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Can the generated files please be put in the same places that (most or
>> all) previous releases have used?
>
> I will leave this to Konstantin.. There may well be practical reasons
> for the movement.
>
>> Oh, and the patch file (on https://kernel.org) is a text file, not a
>> zipped file (as in previous releases).
>
> Well, if you use a browser, the normal browser compression (behind
> your back) should be in effect. So you won't actually be wasting the
> bandwidth.
>
> If you use wget, you have to manually ask for it. Quoting Konstantin
> from an earlier discussion:
>
>> Yes, this is implemented on the http protocol level -- but you have to
>> tell wget to request it:
>>
>> wget -O test.patch.gz \
>> --header="accept-encoding: gzip" \
>> https://git.kernel.org/...
>>
>> Browsers do the requesting and ungzipping automatically, but not cmdline
>> tools.
>
> so the capability is there, it's just not done as several individual
> files any more.
>
> Linus

It doesn't work with Firefox-53.0. After quite a long time while firefox
uses 100% of CPU, I finally get a text file and not a gzip file of the
patch for 4.12-rc1. It was almost instantaneous previously. I don't see
this as a progress.

Best regards,

FranÃois Valenduc