Re: [v3 0/9] parallelized "struct page" zeroing

From: Pasha Tatashin
Date: Mon May 15 2017 - 14:12:36 EST

Hi Michal,

After looking at your suggested memblock_virt_alloc_core() change again, I decided to keep what I have. I do not want to inline memblock_virt_alloc_internal(), because it is not a performance critical path, and by inlining it we will unnecessarily increase the text size on all platforms.

Also, because it will be very hard to make sure that no platform regresses by making memset() default in _memblock_virt_alloc_core() (as I already showed last week at least sun4v SPARC64 will require special changes in order for this to work), I decided to make it available only for "deferred struct page init" case. As, what is already in the patch.

I am working on testing to make sure we do not need to double zero in the two cases that you found: sparsemem, and mem hotplug. Please let me know if you have any more comments, or if I can send new patches out when they are ready.

Thank you,
Pasha