Re: Missing File REPORTING-BUGS In Linux Kernel.

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Mon May 08 2017 - 11:23:40 EST

On 05/08/17 05:30, Keith Christian wrote:

> In v4.10, the file was moved (and renamed and edited) to
> "Documentation/admin-guide/reporting-bugs.rst".
>
> I suppose that some Debian install script needs to be updated.
>

> Kernel hackers,
>
> Thanks for all the work over the years on the kernel. My very first post to the list (as a long time reader) is a question:
>
> Were other plain text files changed to .rst as well?

[adding linux-doc mailing list]

Quite a number have been changed.

> Is there a link to the discussion for changing to .rst?

I don't recall much discussion. There may have been some on the linux-doc
mailing list.

As with many things that are kernel-related, it depends a lot on who is
doing the work and their choices and decisions.

> There is a convention for keeping essential documentation in a simple format that can be read without additional processing. Where are we going with this?

.rst files are still readable with an editor or 'more' etc.

--
~Randy