Re: Revised statx(2) man page for review

From: Silvan Jegen
Date: Tue Apr 25 2017 - 14:50:58 EST

Hi Michael

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 01:14:26PM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:

> [...]
>
> Could you please carefully review the text below, in case
> I added any errors.

Just a few comments below.

> [...]
>
> Invoking statx():
> To access a file's status, no permissions are required on the
> file itself, but in the case of statx() with a pathname, exeâ
> cute (search) permission is required on all of the directories
> in pathname that lead to the file.
>
> statx() uses pathname, dirfd, and flags identify the target

This should be:

"statx() uses pathname, dirfd, and flags *to* identify the target"

> [...]
>
> AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT
> Do whatever stat(2) does. This is the default and is
> very much filesystem specific.

Since we write "Linux-specific" further above we should probably use

"very much filesystem-specific."

here for consistency.

> AT_STATX_FORCE_SYNC
> Force the attributes to be synchronized with the server.
> This may require that a network filesystem perform a
> data writeback to get the timestamps correct.
>
> AT_STATX_DONT_SYNC
> Don't synchronize anything, but rather just take whatâ
> ever the system has cached if possible. This may mean
> that the information returned is approximate, but, on a
> network filesystem, it may not involve a round trip to
> the server - even if no lease is held.
>
> The mask argument to statx() is used to tell the kernel which
> fields the caller is interested in. mask is an ORed combinaâ
> tion of the following constants:
>
> STATX_TYPE Want stx_mode & S_IFMT
> STATX_MODE Want stx_mode & ~S_IFMT
> STATX_NLINK Want stx_nlink
> STATX_UID Want stx_uid
> STATX_GID Want stx_gid
> STATX_ATIME Want stx_atime
> STATX_MTIME Want stx_mtime
> STATX_CTIME Want stx_ctime
> STATX_INO Want stx_ino
> STATX_SIZE Want stx_size
> STATX_BLOCKS Want stx_blocks
> STATX_BASIC_STATS [All of the above]
> STATX_BTIME Want stx_btime
> STATX_ALL [All currently available fields]
>
> Note the kernel does not reject values in mask other than the

We should probably either insert a colon here

"Note: the kernel does not reject values in mask other than the..."

or reformulate the sentence like this.

"Note that the kernel does not reject values in mask other than the..."

> [...]
>
> stx_gid
> The ID of the group that may access the file.

This group ID is the gid of the file owner's primary group, no? At least
that's what the field comment in the DESCRIPTION implies.

I think it would be more accurate to write:

"The ID of the file owner's primary group"

> [...]
>
> STATX_ATTR_COMPRESSED
> The file is compressed by the fs and may take extra

We write out 'filesystem' everywhere else so I think we should replace 'fs'
with it here as well.

> CONFORMING TO
> statx() is Linux specific.

For consistency we should write:

"statx() is Linux-specific".

I wrote the changes in-line but if you prefer I can 'git send-email'
a patch as well.

Cheers and thanks for all the hard work!

Silvan