Re: get_zone_device_page() in get_page() and page_cache_get_speculative()

From: Kirill A. Shutemov
Date: Mon Apr 24 2017 - 14:02:15 EST

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:47:43AM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Kirill A. Shutemov

> >> The page_ref conversion landed in 4.6 *after* the ZONE_DEVICE
> >> implementation that landed in 4.5, so there was a missed conversion of
> >> the zone-device reference counting to page_ref.
> >
> > Fair enough.
> >
> > But get_page_unless_zero() definitely predates ZONE_DEVICE. :)
> >

> It does, but that's deliberate. A ZONE_DEVICE page never has a zero
> reference count, it's always owned by the device, never by the page
> allocator. ZONE_DEVICE overrides the ->lru list_head to store private
> device information and we rely on the behavior that a non-zero
> reference means the page is not added to any lru or page cache list.

So, what do you propose? Use get_page() instead of
page_cache_get_speculative() in GUP_fast() if the page belong to zone
device?

I don't like it. This situation, when we only can use subset of
helpers to manipulate page refcount creates situation waiting to explode.

I think it's still better to do it on page_ref_* level.

BTW, why do we need to pin pgmap from get_page() in first place?
I don't have enough background in ZONE_DEVICE.

--
Kirill A. Shutemov