Re: [RFC 0/8] Copy Offload with Peer-to-Peer PCI Memory

From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Mon Apr 24 2017 - 12:16:14 EST

On 24/04/17 01:36 AM, Knut Omang wrote:
> My first reflex when reading this thread was to think that this whole domain
> lends it self excellently to testing via Qemu. Could it be that doing this in
> the opposite direction might be a safer approach in the long run even though
> (significant) more work up-front?

That's an interesting idea. We did do some very limited testing on qemu
with one iteration of our work. However, it's difficult because there is
no support for any RDMA devices which are a part of our primary use
case. I also imagine it would be quite difficult to develop those models
given the array of hardware that needs to be supported and the deep
functional knowledge required to figure out appropriate restrictions.

Logan