Re: kvm/arm64: use-after-free in kvm_unmap_hva_handler/unmap_stage2_pmds

From: Mark Rutland
Date: Thu Apr 13 2017 - 09:45:59 EST

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 01:53:13PM +0200, Andrey Konovalov wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I had a go at reproducing this on an arm64 board following [1], but so
> > far I've had no luck.

[...]

> Hi Mark,
>
> You assume that you have KASAN enabled.

Yes; I have KASAN_OUTLINE enabled.

> Since a few unintended line breaks were added in the email, here's the
> program in plaintext:
> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/xairy/69864355b5a64f74e7cb445b7325a7df/raw/bdbbbf177dbea13eac0a5ddfa9c3e6c32695b13b/kvm-arm-uaf-log

Thanks!

> I run it as:
> # ./syz-execprog -repeat=0 -collide=false -sandbox=namespace ./kvm-arm-uaf-log

Thanks again. Having the exact command was very helpful for
sanity-checking my configuration.

In the end, it turned out that in my filesystem, /dev/kvm was not
accessible by the nobody user, so the executor couldn't open it, and
none of the KVM paths were being triggered.

> And it takes less than a second to trigger the bug.

After having chomd'd /dev/kvm appropriately, I can also reproduce the
issue within a second or two, running the same command.

Thanks,
Mark.