Re: There is a Tasks RCU stall warning

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Apr 12 2017 - 10:59:53 EST

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 07:48:00 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Not like that... :-/ Update on its way.
> >
> > Perhaps more like this. Started rcutorture on it, will see how it goes.

I just love the above discussion with yourself ;-)

> Do you need this patch? If so, I should do some more work on it to
> eliminate the extra common-case branch on the scheduler fastpath.

Do I still need this patch? Maybe. :-)

I changed my benchmark test to call cond_resched_rcu_qs() instead and
that appears to fix the issue. But I'm not sure if there's any other
kthread out there that just calls cond_resched() or schedule().

Actually, I think it is still a good idea to have it. I believe that it
will still allow synchronize_rcu_tasks() to progress even if there's a
kthread task that is constantly being woken up, and never sleeps when
it calls schedule(), as it may always have the R state.

-- Steve