Re: [RFC v3 0/5] Add capacity capping support to the CPU controller

From: Patrick Bellasi
Date: Wed Apr 12 2017 - 09:25:10 EST

On 12-Apr 14:22, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 06:58:33PM +0100, Patrick Bellasi wrote:
> > Sorry, I don't get instead what are the "confusing nesting properties"
> > you are referring to?
>
> If a parent group sets min=.2 and max=.8, what are the constraints on
> its child groups for setting their resp min and max?

Currently the logic I'm proposing enforces this:

a) capacity_max can only be reduced
because we accept that a child can be further constrained
for example:
- a resource manager allocates a max capacity to an application
- the application itself knows that some of its child are background
tasks and they can be further constrained

b) capacity_min can only be increased
because we want to inhibit child affecting overall performance
for example:
- a resource manager allocates a minimum capacity to an application
- the application itself cannot slow-down some of its child
without risking to affect other (unknown) external entities

> I can't immediately gives rules that would make sense.

The second rule is more tricky, but I see it matching better an
overall decomposition schema where a single resource manager is
allocating a capacity_min to two different entities (A and B) which
are independent but (it only knows) are also cooperating.

Let's think about the Android run-time which allocate resources to a
system service (entity A) which it knows it has to interact with
a certain app (entity B).

The cooperation dependency can be resolved only by the resource
manager, by assigning capacity_min at entity level CGroups.
Thus, entities subgroups should not be allowed to further reduce
this constraint without risking to impact an (unknown for them)
external entity.

> For instance, allowing a child to lower min would violate the parent
> constraint,

Quite likely don't want this.

> while allowing a child to increase min would grant the child
> more resources than the parent.

But still within the capacity_max enforced by the parent.

We should always consider the pair (min,max), once a parent defined
this range to me it's seem ok that child can freely play within that
range.

Why should not be allowed a child group to set:

capacity_min_child = capacity_max_parent

?

--
#include <best/regards.h>

Patrick Bellasi