Re: [printk] fbc14616f4: BUG:kernel_reboot-without-warning_in_test_stage

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Apr 06 2017 - 13:33:24 EST

Hi!

> This patch set gives up part of the printk() reliability for bounded
> latency (at least unless we detect we are really in trouble) which is IMHO
> a good trade-off for lots of users (and others can just turn this feature
> off).

If they can ever realize they were bitten by this feature.

Can we go for different tradeoff?

In console_unlock(), if you detect too much work, print "Too many
messages to print, %d bytes delayed" and wake up kernel thread.

You still get the latency, and people bitten by this feature will at
least get fair warning.

Pavel