Re: net/sctp: list double add warning in sctp_endpoint_add_asoc

From: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner
Date: Tue Apr 04 2017 - 17:15:16 EST

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 01:29:19AM +0800, Xin Long wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got the following error report while fuzzing the kernel with syzkaller.
> >
> > On commit a71c9a1c779f2499fb2afc0553e543f18aff6edf (4.11-rc5).
> >
> > A reproducer and .config are attached.
> The script is pretty hard to reproduce the issue in my env.

I didn't try running it but I also found the reproducer very complicated
to follow. Do you have any plans on having some PoC optimizer, so we can
have a more readable code?
strace is handy for filtering the noise, yes, but sometimes it doesn't
cut it.

> But there seems a case to cause a use-after-free when out of snd_buf.
>
> the case is like:
> -----------
> one thread: another thread:
> sctp_rcv hold asoc (hold transport)
> enqueue the chunk to backlog queue
> [refcnt=2]
>
> sctp_close free assoc
> [refcnt=1]
>
> sctp_sendmsg find asoc
> but not hold it
>
> out of snd_buf
> hold asoc, schedule out
> [refcnt = 2]
>
> process backlog and put asoc/transport
> [refcnt=1]
>
> schedule in, put asoc
> [refcnt=0] <--- destroyed
>
> sctp_sendmsg continue

It shouldn't be continuing here because sctp_wait_for_sndbuf and
sctp_wait_for_connect functions are checking if the asoc is dead
already when it schedules in, even though sctp_wait_for_connect return
value is ignored and sctp_sendmsg() simply returns after that.
Or the checks for dead asocs in there aren't enough somehow.