Re: Apparent backward time travel in timestamps on file creation

From: David Lang
Date: Thu Mar 30 2017 - 16:30:24 EST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, David Howells wrote:

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The error bar can be huge, for the simple reason that the filesystem
you are testing may not be sharing a clock with the CPU at _all_.

IOW, think network filesystems.

Can't I just not do the tests when the filesystem is a network fs? I don't
think it should be a problem for disk filesystems on network-attached storage.

it's not trivial to detect if a filesystem is local or network (you would have to do calls to figure out what filesystem you are on, then have a list to define what's local and what's remote, that list would become out of date as new filesystems are added)

David Lang