Re: deadlock in synchronize_srcu() in debugfs?

From: Nicolai Stange
Date: Thu Mar 30 2017 - 03:32:28 EST

Hi Johannes,

On Mon, Mar 27 2017, Johannes Berg wrote:

>> > Before I go hunting - has anyone seen a deadlock in
>> > synchronize_srcu() in debugfs_remove() before?
>>
>> Not yet. How reproducible is this?
>
> So ... this turned out to be a livelock of sorts.
>
> We have a debugfs file (not upstream (yet?), it seems) that basically
> blocks reading data.
>
> At the point of system hanging, there was a process reading from that
> file, with no data being generated.

> A second process was trying to remove a completely unrelated debugfs
> file (*), with the RTNL held.

I wonder if holding the RTNL during the debugfs file removal is really
needed. I'll try to have a look in the next couple of days.

> A third and many other processes were waiting to acquire the RTNL.
>

> Obviously, in light of things like nfp_net_debugfs_tx_q_read(),
> wil_write_file_reset(), lowpan_short_addr_get() and quite a few more,
> nobody in the whole system can now remove debugfs files while holding
> the RTNL. Not sure how many people that affects, but it's IMHO a pretty
> major new restriction, and one that isn't even flagged at all.

To be honest, I didn't have this scenario, i.e. removing a debugfs file
under a lock, in mind when writing this removal protection series.

Thank you very much for your debugging work and for pointing me to this
sort of problem!

Summarizing, the problem is the call to the indefinitely blocking
srcu_synchronize() while having a lock held? I'll see whether I can ask
lockdep if any lock is held and spit out a warning then.

> Similarly, nobody should be blocking in debugfs files, like we did in
> ours, but also smsdvb_stats_read(), crtc_crc_open() look like they
> could block for quite a while.

Blocking in the debugfs files' fops shall be fine by itself, that's why
SRCU is used for the removal stuff.

> Again, there's no warning here that blocking in debugfs files can now
> indefinitely defer completely unrelated debugfs_remove() calls in the
> entire system.

Yes, there's only one global srcu_struct for debugfs. So far this hasn't
been a problem and if I understand things correctly, it's also not the
problem at hand? If it really becomes an issue, we can very well
introduce per directory srcu_structs as you suggested.

> Overall, while I can solve this problem for our driver, possibly by
> making the debugfs file return some dummy data periodically if no real
> data exists, which may not easily be possible for all such files, I'm
> not convinced that all of this really is the right thing to actually
> impose.

No, I agree: imposing dummy data reads certainly isn't.

Let me have a look
- whether holding the RTNL lock while removing the debugfs files is
actually needed and
- whether there is an easy way to spot similar scenarios and emit
a warning for them.

If this doesn't solve the problem, I'll have to think of a different way
to fix this...

> (*) before removing first first we'd obviously wake up and thereby more
> or less terminate the readers first

With the current implementation, I can't see an easy way to identify the
tasks blocking on a particular debugfs file. But maybe this is
resolvable and the way to go here...

Thanks,

Nicolai