Re: [RFC v5 8/9] sched/deadline: base GRUB reclaiming on the inactive utilization

From: luca abeni
Date: Mon Mar 27 2017 - 13:03:51 EST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:53:35 +0200
Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > But that's not what is done here I think, something like this
> > > instead:
> > >
> > > Uinact = Utot - Uact
> > >
> > > -t_u dt ; Uinact > (1 - t_u)
> > > dq = {
> > > -(1 - Uinact) dt
> > >

> > > And nowhere do we have an explanation for that.
> >
> > Sorry about this confusion... The accounting should be
> > dq = -(1 - Uinact)dt
> > but if (1 - Uinact) is too large (larger than the task's
> > utilization) then we use the task's utilization instead (otherwise,
> > we end up reclaiming other runqueues' time). I realized that this
> > check was needed after writing the comments, and I forgot to update
> > the comments when I fixed the code :(
> >
> > > Now, I suspect we can write that like: dq = -max{ t_u, (1 -
> > > Uinact) } dt, which would suggest this is a sanity check on Utot,
> > > which I suspect can be over 1. Is this what is happening?
> >
> > Right... I'll fix the code and comments according to your
> > suggestion.
>
> But doesn't that suggest there is now another corner case where we
> 'always' select t_u because of Utot overload?
>
> My intuition suggests we'd reclaim insufficient time in that case, but
> I've not thought much about it.

Well, setting U_act = u_i (task utilization) means that task i is
reclaiming the whole CPU time (then, the next patch will make sure that
deadline tasks cannot consume 100% of the CPU time on a single CPU).

> I feel we want a few words explaining the trade-offs made here and the
> corner cases explored.
>
> Does that make sense?

I think it is a good idea; maybe at the OSPM summit we can work on
finding the correct wording for these comments?

Thanks,
Luca