Re: [RFC 2/2] fanotify: emit FAN_MODIFY_DIR on filesystem changes

From: Marko Rauhamaa
Date: Wed Mar 15 2017 - 10:19:36 EST

Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>:

> On Wed 15-03-17 10:19:52, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> As for "who (user/process/...) did what", the fanotify API is flawed
>> in that we don't have a CLOSE_WRITE_PERM event. The hit-and-run
>> process is long gone by the time we receive the event. That's more of
>> a rule than an exception.
>
> Adding CLOSE_WRITE_PERM would not be that difficult I assume. What do you
> need it for?

Mainly to hold the process hostage until I have verified the content
change. If I disqualify the content change, I will need to report on the
process. CLOSE_WRITE only gives me a pid that is often stale as it
doesn't block the process.

(Another possibility would be to keep the process around as a zombie as
long as the CLOSE_WRITE event's file descriptor is open. That sounds
more complicated and questionable, though.)

Marko

--
+358 44 990 4795
Skype: marko.rauhamaa_f-secure